Sunday 28 June 2020

Excerpt From Second Book In Meg Sheppard Mystery Series


This is the second book in the Meg Sheppard Mystery Series. "Over Frank's Dead Body", like the other cozy mysteries in the series, is set in the world of horse-racing as well as country life.
Meg Sheppard is an amateur sleuth and avid animal-lover, as well as a racehorse owner.

In this book, Meg wonders if her husband Frank's murder, the death of a jockey at the racetrack and the theft of some horses are linked.

In this excerpt, Meg meets with her racehorse trainer, Neal, and groom, Linda, before watching one of her horses race.

'My arrival at the racetrack helps me to shift my focus back to Rose’s race. I’ll have time to visit the backstretch, although I don’t want to disturb the trainer, Neal or the groom, Linda. But most of all, I don’t want to agitate Rose.  
As I step into the shedrow I catch a glimpse of Linda, and am pleasantly surprised. She’s clean and tidy, wearing a new pair of jeans, a smart black windbreaker and a clean purple cap. Neal’s stable colours are black and purple. The horses look elegant when they go out to train in the mornings, with black saddle pads trimmed in purple, and with purple polo bandages wrapped round their legs (which they wear for protection).
“You look great, Linda.”
“I’m glad you’re here.” She sounds breathless and her frown is so pronounced it’s making her eyes look smaller.
“Oh no, there isn’t something wrong is there? Is Rose okay?”
“Sorry. She’s fine, great. It’s something else.” Tears roll down her cheeks.
“Is Neal okay?”
“I’m fine.” He steps out of the stall to our right, and Rose puts her head over the mesh gate as Neal closes it. “But let’s get out of Rose’s sight. I don’t want her picking up on our stress as we talk.”
Neal is dressed in a suit, hoping to be photographed later in the winner’s circle. He strides ahead and Linda has difficulty keeping up with us. Despite the strenuous physical exercise she endures every day, her rotund body is no less spheroid, and her short steps are no less wanting. Neal leads us to his modest office, which is at the end of the shedrow. It’s about six feet square and houses a rusting fridge, a coffee maker on a small metal table, a couple of chairs, a tall, leaning cupboard, and numerous hooks on the walls with a myriad of horsey things hanging from them. There’s no window, but the door is always open when Neal is around. Linda enters the office puffing and red in the face. Neal insists we sit down on the two plastic chairs.
“So, what on earth is the matter?” I ask.
“A jockey was killed this morning,” Neal says. Tears run down Linda’s hot cheeks. Neal hands her a couple of tissues. “The official take on it is that he was thrown from his horse just as they were about to start a timed work.”
“But that’s not right.” Linda almost chokes, and blows her nose.
“Linda and I saw what happened. We were there watching one of our horses being breezed.” Neal hands Linda another couple of tissues. “It looked like Juan blacked out and slumped forward, frightening the horse, which bolted, and Juan was thrown, landing on his head.”
“It was the worst thing ever.” Linda breaks into sobs.
“The reason we wanted to tell you is that there’s something fishy about it.”
“We want to find out the truth.” Linda looks at me with red, puffy eyes and a runny nose.
“And we think you’d be able to find out what happened. I knew Juan. He was a good kid. He hadn’t been at this track for very long, but he was doing well most of the time. He was a champion jockey at a track in the States.”
“I don’t think I’d be any help.” I need this like a hole in the head. Too much is out of control in my life at the same time. “What about the police?”
Linda snorts and then blows her nose again.
“Accident,” Neal says. “It seems like no-one else thinks it’s suspicious, so they’re not listening to us. But no-one was close to Juan when it happened, not like us. And we both agree. Hope you’ll help. We can’t think of anyone else who has the connections and would be able to ask questions without getting people uptight.”
Neal and Linda look at me while the silence hangs unseen but felt, expecting to be broken. I can’t ignore their eyes. They remind me of Kelly’s eyes when she’s asking me for something. I can’t resist their appeal.
“I mean it when I say I don’t think I’ll be able to help.” I let out a sigh. Linda’s frown deepens as she looks at me with unwavering intensity. “But I’ll do what I can.”
“That’s great.” Neal shakes my hand. Linda gets to her feet, wipes her nose again, and hugs me. I’m not comfortable with physical contact, but her embrace, limited by her rotund body, doesn’t make me feel smothered, and she releases me after a couple of seconds, letting me breathe again.

“No time to talk more,” Neal says, as he grabs a lead-rein off one of the hooks. “Linda and I need to get Rose ready for the race. We’ll see you track-side.”'

Vicky Earle Copyright 2018

If you enjoy cozies, then add this series to your summer reading list!

A big 'thank you' to Blue Heron Books for stocking all three books in the series on their shelves, and including them on their website. 
They are also available from your favourite e-book retailer: Here's the link for this book:

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment