Wednesday 24 June 2020

Don't Give Up!


...that's what I've been telling myself during most of 2020!

The curious circumstances we've found ourselves in this year have posed challenges of all sorts, affecting all kinds of people - including racehorse owners, and, writers.

As racehorse owners, we can't go to the racetrack to visit our beloved horses, or to watch them race.
That's tough.
But at least woodbine.com is operating, thanks to all the hard-working, dedicated, caring people who work in the backstretch. And thanks to the administration and leadership who, now that racing has finally started, are doing their utmost to keep it going and to draw attention to this wonderful sport.

And, then there's writing.
With all the distractions and additional stress, it can be tough to be creative.

The picture of my desk might give you a clue as to why I've had to tell myself "don't give up"!
I'm what they call in the writing world a "pantser" - I don't develop an outline of each book before I begin writing. I can easily get into tangled messes but it's much more fun to write this way. It allows me to change characters as things unfold and to add twists and tension that I might not have thought of until I become buried in the story-telling.
But this means that it's best if I can keep things rolling in my head - if I have long breaks in writing it makes it  harder to remember where I was headed or to regenerate the energy.

Despite the many obstacles, and my chaotic desk, I'm pleased to reveal that I'm on page 260 of my first draft of book #4 in the Meg Sheppard Mystery Series! Yeah!

I have to add that blueheronbooks.com has my first 3 books in the Meg Sheppard Mystery Series on their shelves and also on their website. Thank you to Blue Heron Books!

If you read cozy mysteries and are interested in horses or horse-racing, as well as country-living, these are the books for you!

I will be posting excerpts from all four books in the series soon! Sign up to be notified of new posts.

I hope you are keeping safe and: don't give up on your creative project, whatever it is!
vickyearleauthor.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment