Monday 11 November 2019

Sneak Peek: 'Pointed Attacks'



This excerpt is close to the beginning of the book. I will be reading a couple more sections during the launch of 'Pointed Attacks' at Blue Heron Books blueheronbooks.com on Sunday November 17 between 1 and 3pm.

The landline phone rings as I reach for the kettle. Neal Carvey, the racehorse trainer for Rose and Speed, is on the other end.
“You won’t believe this,” he says.
“Are Rose and Speed okay?”
“Great. I should have said that first. This is something different. But it’s a bit of god-awful déjà vu.” His voice is sombre and raspy.
“What is it Neal?”
“There’s this trainer, he’s a friend of mine. I should say “was”, because he’s dead and I’ve just heard that it’s being treated as a suicide.”
“Oh no.” I gasp. “I’m so sorry Neal.” There’s more to this.
“He didn’t kill himself. I know he didn’t.”
“You’re saying someone killed him?” A weight lands on my shoulders as my stomach knots. I’ve barely had time to recover from my investigations into who killed my husband, Frank, and who killed the jockey, Juan. Neither death was considered to be suspicious at first, and it was assumed that Frank had committed suicide. Talk about déjà vu.
“He wouldn’t have killed himself. I’m sure of it. Can you and William look into it? You got the guy who killed Juan. Sorry, my voice is cracking up.”
“I’m just about to leave for England.”
“Oh.” I can hear dejection in his lowered, quieter voice. “I don’t know anyone else who could help.”
“Right. Well, my flight isn’t until the day after tomorrow, so I could talk to a couple of people in the meantime, and then follow up when I get back. That’s the best I can do.”
“How long will you be away?”
“I haven’t booked my return flight because I don’t know. But I can’t leave Kelly and the horses for long. I haven’t even found someone to look after Kelly yet. It’s all happened rather quickly.”
“I’ll see you tomorrow then?”
“I’ll be at the track as early as possible.”



  Copyright 2019 Vicky Earle


No comments:

Post a Comment