Friday 26 April 2019

Sisters in Crime!


Although I've been a writer of cozy mysteries for a few years, I only recently heard of "Sisters in Crime".  So I thought I would share this discovery!

"Sisters in Crime" SinC is not what  you might assume it to be: it is an organization comprised of "authors, readers, publishers, agents, booksellers, and librarians bound by our passion for the mystery genre and our support of women who write crime fiction".

While the organization is based in the US, there is a Toronto Chapter that holds monthly meetings. I have been to two - and they were both worth the drive from Uxbridge to Yonge and Eglinton. In the most recent meeting, the panel members were Maureen Jennings (of Murdoch Mysteries fame) as well as Desmond Ryan, Lisa De Nikolitis, Mary Lou Dickinson and Sharon Crawford. In the earlier meeting I attended, Jack David, ECW Press, made a presentation providing useful insight into the publishing of mysteries/thrillers.

I participated in a SinC webinar, available free to members, the other day which was offered by Tiffany Yates Martin, FoxPrint Editorial - "The 10 Biggest Mistakes Writers Make". It covered plot versus story, character, suspense, tension, and much more. Tiffany stated that every single scene must move the story forward.

Also, SinC issue a great newsletter!

If you are a fellow author of mysteries (males are welcome as well, by the way) I recommend that  you consider membership in Sisters in Crime. While there is a fee for belonging to SinC National and for joining SinC Toronto Chapter SinC Toronto , my current assessment is that these are sound investments.
I'll keep you posted on how this works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment